After a few miscues when we misread the hieroglyphics on the official Ikea instruction pamphlets and assembled a few bits backward, we managed to get it all put together with minimal injuries and an intact marriage.
Belladonna showed up a bit later too, and we had to contend with two very inquisitive cats who wanted to inspect every part before we could assemble it.
Our perseverance and patience paid off, however, and we eventually had a serviceable dining room set. It fits with the mid-century modern look we have been working toward. At some point soon we are going to see about replacing the buffet we gave away with something from a place down town that specialises in 50-60s era Danish furniture that would match well with this table.